The Cross Foxes was purpose built as a public house in the late 18th or early 19th century and replaced an earlier inn, of the same name, which is known to have been in existence on this site by 1775. It became the first tied house for the Wrexham Lager Brewery in 1922.
A section of the building was demolished in the 1960s, along with many other buildings on Abbot Street, to make way for the loading bay of the new Littlewoods store.
The pub changed its name several times in the 1990s and 2000s, namely the Foxhound & Firkin, then Abbot's Bar, then Sugar Reef, but has since reverted to its original name.
The Old Swan was originally built as a house, in the late 16th or early 17th century. The building has been altered considerably since then; however, much of the original timber framing can still be found in the existing structure. The street frontage was added in the 18th century and is also timber framed. The façade was plastered over at a later date. The 1811 date plaque refers to the rear wing which was added at this time.
The building was in use as a pub by 1764 when it was known as The Swan. The name changed to The Old Swan after another pub called The Swan opened on Pen-y-bryn in the early 19th century.