This shop and apartment building was built in 1896 from locally produced Ruabon Red brick and terracotta. It is listed as a fine example of a 19th century commercial building which survives intact. The building was named after the Burton Brewery which was located next door.
The existing Bowling Green Inn was erected in 1900; however, the first mention of an inn called the Bowling Green on this site was as long ago as 1698. This could make it one of the oldest, if not the oldest, public house in Wrexham. The existing building is a remnant of what was once an important and much larger property.
In the 18th and 19th centuries the Bowling Green was the property of the Williams-Wynn family. The Williams-Wynn family were a prominent local family, with an ancient royal Welsh lineage. Their properties included the Wynnstay Arms and Wynnstay Hall in Ruabon and members of the family held important positions in local society and their number included several MPs for Denbighshire. The Bowling Green premises were rather extensive with over an acre of land which included a bowling green. As the lord of the manor, Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn held the court leet for Wrexham Abbot here in the mid 19th century.
The Williams-Wynns sold up in the 19th century. The premises lost its turf, though not its name, along with most of its land following the building of Colemere Street in the late 19th century.