The Feathers, formerly The Plume of Feathers, was originally a notable coaching inn and it is thought to have been in existence since the 17th century. The existing structure was rebuilt in the 1850s and contains elements of an earlier building. The original stable and coach house can still be found at the rear of the building with its entrance on Charles Street (seen on the right of the picture).
Number 62, Chester Street (on the left of the picture) was resurfaced at the same time and made to look a part of the same building but the façade is thought to hide a much earlier timber framed structure.
In 2001 the pub closed but a few years later a clothes shop opened following a full refurbishment of the building; however, this only lasted a few years and the building currently lies empty.
The pub was purpose built in the 1850s and is a good example of a Victorian pub and retains much of its original character.
The pub is known locally as 'The Long Pull'. It's nickname dates back to the time when larger measures were given to draw in customers from other public houses. A long pull was made on the beer pump to get the extra measure.
Built in 1898 to replace an earlier inn, known as The Star, which is known to have been in existance since at least 1769. After a short period of closure, it recently re-opened with its name translated in to Welsh - Saith Seren.
According to Palmer, this building was described as new in the rate books of 1727. According to CADW the building’s exterior took on its current appearance following a remodelling in the late 18th century but the interior retains many of its original features.
Originally a town house, it came to house the St Giles Home for Children, until 1915 when the institution moved to a new purpose built home (also grade II listed) on Rhosnesni Lane. During the First World War the building housed Belgian refugees and in the 1920s the Register Office moved in. The Register Office moved to 2 Grosvenor Road in 1978 and the building now houses Walker, Smith & Way Solicitors.
Nos 23 to 29 Chester Street constitute a terrace of seven individual townhouses, dating from the early nineteenth century. Many of the buildings (nos 24 to 28) are not considered important enough to warrant listed status on their own; however, they form part of a terrace which constitutes an early nineteenth century streetscape now rare in Wrexham. The demolition of any one of nos 24-28 would ruin the affect so they have been listed to help preserve the terrace as a whole.
Nos 24 to 28 do not survive in their original condition and have since been converted in to office use (apart from no 28 which is still a domestic dwelling); however, some original features do survive.
Nos 23 & 29 have their own pages - no 23 because of its history and no 29 because its facade survives in its original form.
Number 29 was built as a house in about 1830, but possibly intended to house office accommodation from the outset. The building is at the end of a terrace comprising numbers 23-29 Chester Street, a survival of a 19th century streetscape now rare in Wrexham. Today the building is subdivided and houses Francis Opticians, R Wyn Philips & Co Chartered Surveyors and Bayliss Baines Ltd Accountants.
This building was erected in about 1840 and is a good example of an early Victorian town house. Now in use as an office.