Butcher's Market

Butcher's Market (Rear Entrance), Henblas Street, Grade II Listed

The Henblas Street entrance to the Butcher's Market was constructed in 1880 when the market was extended.  Prior to 1880, the only entrance had been on High Street. Number 40 Henblas Street, seen on the left, was built at the same time.  The buildings are situated opposite, and built in the same style as, the General Market which was constructed the year before.

 

Nos 21-29a

Nos 21-29a, Henblas Street, Grade II Listed

Numbers 21 to 29a Henblas Street were built in 1879 as a part of the General Market development.  The glass roof of the market can be seen above the shop fronts.  The facade is built of local Ruabon Red brick with terracotta dressings and includes one of the entrances to the market.

 

General Market

General Market, Henblas Street, Grade II Listed

The General Market and the adjoining shops (numbers 21 to 29a Henblas Street) and public conveniences were built in 1879 out of local Ruabon Red brick with terracotta dressings.  Pictured is the main entrance to the market, situated directly opposite the rear entrance to the Butcher's Market, built in 1880.

 

Public Conveniences

Public Conveniences, Henblas Street, Grade II Listed

The public conveniences were built in 1879 as a part of the General Market development.  The glass roof of the market can be seen peeping out above the ground floor facade.  The facade is built of local Ruabon Red brick with terracotta dressings and above the door is a decorative glass fanlight with the words 'Ladies Cloakroom'.

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© 2013