Built 1910-12 by Woolfall and Eccles, architects for the Midland Bank. The facade, of yellow sandstone with polished granite columns, is in a 'baroque palazzo' style.
The building served as a bank until 1999. Two years later, Wetherspoons opened its second pub in the town. Originally named Lloyds, it was later renamed, in recognition of The North & South Wales Bank.
The North & South Wales Bank was established in 1836. The Wrexham branch was housed in the building where 43 High Street now stands and in 1861 it moved to 29 High Street. In 1908 the business became a part of the Midland Bank. By the time of this building's completion, the old name had been dropped so it was known as the Midland Bank from the outset.
The Golden Lion is 16th century in origin, and was once a house of some status when it was the property of the Pulford family who were prominent in Wrexham in the 17th and 18th centuries. The building was originally timber framed but was partly rebuilt in the late 18th century; however, some timber framing can still be found in the present structure.
The earliest reference to a pub license was in 1683 and to a pub called the Golden Lion in 1700 but in the early 18th century the pub closed and the building was subdivided in to shops. One shop fronted the street and the other was situated behind it, with access via by a passage which ran alongside the building. By 1740 the Golden Lion had reopened. Until recently, only the rear unit was used as a pub but today the building exists as a whole with entry still via Golden Lion Passage, seen on the right of the picture.
The market and the adjoining shops were designed by local architect Thomas Penson in the Jacobean style and built in 1848 from yellow sandstone. It was the first to be built of the three entrances to the Butcher's Market, the others being on Hope Street (Central Arcade) and Henblas Street. Once coated in green paint and in poor condition, it has since been extensively refurbished.
The building dates to the late 18th century. No 9 (right hand side) has an early 19th century shop front and for over a hundred and fifty years it was occupied by Rowlands the Chemist.