This red sand stone corner property was built between 1896 and 1899 by Parr’s Bank. The building’s use as a bank culminated with TSB, which eventually closed this branch in the 1990s, following its merger with Lloyds. Converted in to a bar shortly afterwards, it opened as Harvey’s in 2000 and is now known as Bank’s Wine Bar & Bistro.
Parr’s Bank was founded in Warrington in 1788 and grew to become a major banking concern with more than three hundred branches. Following a merger in 1918, it became a part of the Westminster bank which itself merged with the National Provincial in 1968 to form the National Westminster (NatWest).
This property was built in the late 19th century. Barclay's Bank renewed the ground floor of the building in 1970 when they moved in.
Barclay's Bank recent relocation to Hope Street left High Street without a bank for the first time in over a hundred and fifty years. At the time of writing, the building lies empty.
Built as a single unit in the late 18th century but at one time subdivided (hence the two street numbers) but now once again a single commercial unit to the ground floor.
This is an 18th century house, long in use as a shop, with an earlier rear wing. The building contains traces of earlier timber framing and was extensively renovated in 1980.
The existing structure was built 1912-13 and replaced an earlier timber framed structure. The first mention of a Royal Oak on this site was in 1780. Then, and up until the late 19th century, the pub was situated behind a butcher's shop (which fronted the street), and was accessed via a passageway.
From the end of World War II the pub was a popular meeting place for Polish immigrants and was nicknamed the Polish Embassy. In 1984 the pub was renamed The Embassy; however, it reverted to its old name in 1995 and is currently operated by the Joules brewery of Market Drayton.
This red sandstone, baroque style building was constructed in 1907 by the Bank of Liverpool. The Bank of Liverpool became Martin's Bank in 1928 and it traded under this name till bought out by Barclay's Bank in 1969. Today, number 33 houses Jones Peckover estate agents.
This property, along with the adjoining Overton Arcade, was built in 1868. During the 1980s the building was occupied by a branch of the Bank of Wales and today houses Thomas Andrews and Partners Solicitors. The quaint and often overlooked Overton Arcade contains some small shop units and a restaurant and links High Street with Temple Row.
The present building is largely the result of a mid-19th century rebuilding, but it may incorporate elements of an earlier structure from 1786. The building was extensively renovated in 1980 and is currently occupied by Corbett bookmakers.
Designed by Richard Kyrke Penson, in the baroque palazzo style and built in 1860-61 for the Provincial Welsh Insurance Company. The insurance offices were on the upper floors of the building, with the ground floor occupied by the North & South Wales Bank. The Provincial Welsh and its successors occupied the building till the 1990s. Since then, the building has been occupied by Yates.
The Provincial Welsh Insurance Company was established in Wrexham in 1852. The Alliance Assurance Company took over between 1874 and 1899, and it is this name which still appears on the front of the building today.
RK Penson was an architect most famous for designing, with his father, the Grosvenor Hotel in Chester. His father, Thomas Penson, was responsible for several of Wrexham's listed buildings, including the Butcher's Market.
Both properties were constructed around 1820. Part of no 26 (left hand side) was demolished in the 1960s as a part of a road widening scheme. Neither building has any particular architectural merit, other than being old, and were listed because of their group value with the other listed buildings on High Street.
Depending on your age, you'll remember this as either Fagin's night club, the Jolly Tavern, the Vogue cinema (1981-1986) or the Cosmopolitan. Today it is the Eastern Sheraton Chinese Restaurant.