Today's Glyndwr University has it's roots in the Denbighshire Technical College which had been established in 1927 in the buildings of the old Wrexham Infirmary on Regent Street. The college proved popular and it was felt that more space was required for an expanding student body. Eventually it was decided that a new campus was required and these buildings were completed in 1953. Included in the development was the 900 seater concert hall, named after the institution's first vice-president, William Aston, a prime mover in the establishment of the college twenty five years earlier. The Denbighshire Technical College became the North East Wales Institute (NEWI) in 1975 and Glyndwr University in 2008.
In 1956 the building won for it's architects, Saxon, Smith & Partners of Chester, a bronze medal and diploma by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).