The date of construction of this very interesting building is unknown though it is thought to be very old and may contain some timber framing. CADW claim the building took on its current appearance following a remodelling in which mock timber framing was applied to an existing brick facade. This practice was all the rage in the late 19th century; however, a painting from 1850 shows the facade in mostly the same state as it is today and an engraving from about 1830 shows an entirely brick facade. This evidence suggests the existing facade dates from between these two dates which makes the Nag's Head a very early example of this style of architecture. An examination of a photograph from 1900 shows the building with a more intricately decorated facade than the one in existence today (and in 1850). It appears that the timberwork was added to at some point and the extra decoration this was later removed.
There has been a pub on this site, known as the Nag's Head, since the early 19th century and the earliest reference to a building on this site was to a house in 1742 but it is not known if the existing structure is one and the same or if it has since been rebuilt; however, an examination of the rear wing of the building shows what look to be Georgian sash windows. Could it be that the addition of this wing in about 1742 made it important enough for its first mention in the history books? If so, the front wing may well be earlier but how much earlier? Old enough to be a (much modified but at least genuine) timber framed structure? A structural survey may well reveal the answers to these questions but until that happens, this building will remain a bit of a mystery.
The chimney was built in 1894 by the Soames Brewery and it formed a part of a complex of buildings, many of which are still standing and can be seen on the extreme left of the photograph.
The origins of the brewery date back to the early nineteenth century when it was based around the Nag’s Head public house. In 1879 it was bought by Arthur Soames and his son Frederick expanded the brewery to make it one of the largest in the town. In 1931 Soames merged with the Island Green Brewery of Wrexham and Dorsett Owen of Oswestry to form Border Breweries. The new business was based at the old Soames site and the other two breweries were shut down. Marstons Brewery bought Border Breweries in 1984 and closed the site shortly after.
The chimney was facing demolition till bought by the then MP for Wrexham, John Marek. Mr Marek paid for the upkeep of the chimney and we have him to thank for the structure's survival.