Island Green brewery was established in 1856 by brothers William and John Jones and the buildings date to that time, with additions made in about 1890. The brewery was named after the nearby Island Green House which was demolished in the 1880s. In 1931 Island Green became a part of Border Breweries and brewing ceased on the site shortly afterwards. Later it became a warehouse and then a creamery. By the 1990s the buildings had been empty for many years and were close to collapse. Fortunately, they were saved and converted in to flats.
The existing building was erected in 1896 but the first record of a pub on this site dates to 1668. Originally named Pen-y-bont, it became The Old Three Tuns in about 1806. The building is a good example of a small, late 19th century pub building and features fine plaster mouldings to the gable end. The pub was a tied house of local brewer Soames which in 1931 became a part of Border Breweries. Following the takeover of Border by Marston’s in 1984, the Old Three Tuns was closed. The building lay empty for many years before being bought by the British Rail Staff Association. They undertook a full restoration of the building in 2000 and it still serves as the association’s clubhouse.