The origins of the hospital go back to 1916 when a specially formed committee decided that an entirely new hospital was required to replace the infirmary which then stood on Regent Street. In 1918 it was decided that a new hospital would be the best way to commemorate all those who had died in the First World War.
The trustees of the William & John Jones Hospital Trust decided to unite with the War Memorial committee in building the new hospital. The trust had been established in the will of local brewer John Jones in 1912, in which £50,000, along with the house known as Roseneath and all the lands belonging to it, was bequeathed to the building of a new hospital in Wrexham. In addition, the trust donated a further £35,000 to the project.
John Jones, along his brother William, had established the Island Green brewery in 1856. The brewery was a commercial success and the brothers became very rich. Following William's death in 1904, John became one of the town's greatest benefactors. In addition to the hospital trust, he made many other donations to worthy causes, which included paying for the construction of St John's Church in Hightown and the William & John Jones Recreation Ground in Rhosddu (still extant).
It was decided to use Roseneath house as a part of the new hospital and use the land to build two new blocks – the War Memorial hospital, fronting Rhosddu Road, and to the rear, the William & John Jones Hospital. Both were opened by HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, on 9th June 1926.
£26,000 – a quarter of the total building costs – were donated by the people, and in particular, the miners, of East Denbighshire. In today’s money, this is about £1.2million – a truly amazing figure considering the low pay and poor conditions of the time.
The hospital would not have come in to existence if it were not for the generosity of John Jones and the people of Wrexham so when demolition plans were muted following its closure in 1986, strong local opposition soon put an end to the plan for the site’s use as a new supermarket. Yale College subsequently bought the memorial hospital and carried out a full restoration. The building re-opened as a part of its massive new campus in 1998.
Designed by local architect JR Gummow in the neo-gothic style and built in 1863 out of yellow sandstone. Originally a private residence, the building served as council offices before being converted in to a hotel in the 1970s. Today, the building serves as a restaurant; originally called Graffitti, it is now known as The Lemon Tree.
Designed by local architect William Turner and built in 1874-75 to serve the rapidly expanding area of Rhosddu. The church was designated a parish church in 1886.